Thursday, January 15, 2009

La Dolce Vita


Ok, I have been looking forward to Friday for a couple months now. The IMA will be presenting a 35mm print of one of my top 5 films of all time, La Dolce Vita. If you have not seen this masterpiece by Federico Fellini, I suggest you take this opportunity to see it. Do not wait. Cancel all your other engagements and get over to the Toby and watch it on the big screen, in glorious black and white film rather than video. It is the purest and simply best way to catch this film. I have seen it numerous times in all formats and I will be there Friday. If you do not want to take my word for it, try reading this fabulous and telling review by Rober Ebert. Here is one of my favorite segments from his review.


Movies do not change, but their viewers do. When I saw "La Dolce Vita'' in 1960, I was an adolescent for whom "the sweet life'' represented everything I dreamed of: sin, exotic European glamour, the weary romance of the cynical newspaperman. When I saw it again, around 1970, I was living in a version of Marcello's world; Chicago's North Avenue was not the Via Veneto, but at 3 a.m. the denizens were just as colorful, and I was about Marcello's age.

When I saw the movie around 1980, Marcello was the same age, but I was 10 years older, had stopped drinking, and saw him not as a role model but as a victim, condemned to an endless search for happiness that could never be found, not that way. By 1991, when I analyzed the film a frame at a time at the University of Colorado, Marcello seemed younger still, and while I had once admired and then criticized him, now I pitied and loved him. And when I saw the movie right after Mastroianni died, I thought that Fellini and Marcello had taken a moment of discovery and made it immortal. There may be no such thing as the sweet life. But it is necessary to find that out for yourself.


What really suprises me, is that it is damn hard to find a good trailer for the film online. For now, check out this site to see more on the film.


From the IMA's web site:



Who plans on joining me there? Let's all dress the part and grab our selves a drink and enjoy the movie. Be there or...

2 Responses to “La Dolce Vita”

The Urbanophile said...
January 15, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I will unfortunately not be able to attend, but strongly second this endorsement. It's an absolutely incredible film.


Anonymous said...
January 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM

There are a lot of films that could be described as "putting the fartsy in artsy", the kind that leave you feeling either left out, or afraid to not pretend you liked them.

This is NOT one of those. It's a good movie.


All Rights Reserved OnTheCusp.org | Blogger Template by Bloggermint